An Introduction to Hypertension
Hypertension is one of the most significant risk factors for morbidity and mortality worldwide and is responsible for the deaths of approximately 9million people each year. Despite the availability of effective treatments, many people remain with high blood pressure that is not under optimal control. Advancing technologies are likely to play an important role in improving screening, detection and control of hypertension over the next few years.
Browse the content below where leading experts discuss the latest data in video interviews and short articles from our conference hub, and browse the selection of peer-reviewed articles from our journal portfolio.
Our supporting partners do not constitute an endorsement of the content on this page.
Treatment decisions for the use of medical therapy in patients with CTEPH
In this activity, watch leading expert Prof. Marc Humbert explore the latest approaches to optimizing clinical management of CTEPH, including medical therapy strategies to better support treatment goals alongside the importance of risk assessment-based treatment decisions. The impact of new and emerging data surrounding use of medical therapies in CTEPH will also be appraised.
- Discuss the disease management options for patients with CTEPH whose treatment goals are not met with their current regimen
- Perform appropriate risk assessments when making treatment decisions for patients with CTEPH
- Describe the new and emerging data for the use of medical therapy in patients with CTEPH, which can inform treatment decisions
Medical therapy for CTEPH: New data new horizons
Watch this two-part activity discussing the latest developments in the use of medical therapy for the management of CTEPH. Filmed following CHEST 2020 and ERS 2020. Part 1: Watch internationally renowned expert Prof. Joanna Pepke-Zaba review key data from the congresses Watch Now Part 2: Choose from leading experts who discuss what the latest data mean for global and regional practice Select An Interview
- Recall the new and emerging data around patient and disease characteristics in order to select the optimal treatment strategy for each individual patient
- Interpret new and emerging data for medical therapy and their impact on daily clinical practice
- Assess the latest changes to best practice for the care of patients with CTEPH
Medical therapy for CTEPH: What is the standard of care in 2020?
Watch a panel of world-leading experts discuss the multidisciplinary approach to the diagnosis and treatment of CTEPH, including emerging targeted medical therapies for technically inoperable patients.
- Discuss best practice for the multidisciplinary assessment of CTEPH
- Apply medical therapy for inoperable patients with CTEPH
- Perform medical therapy for patients with post-operative persistent/recurrent symptomatic disease
Atrial Fibrillation and Dementia
European Journal of Arrhythmia & Electrophysiology. 2020;6(1):10-6 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17925/EJAE.2020.6.1.10
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is one of the most common arrhythmias. It affected 33.5 million people worldwide in 2010, a number that is expected to double by 2050.1 AF prevalence increases with age, and approximately 25% of individuals aged 40 years or older will develop AF during their lifetime.2,3 Irrespective of age, AF incidence also increases with diabetes […]
Updates and new guidelines in statin therapy
Watch clinical specialists from Europe and the USA discuss techniques for the management and treatment of patients with high LDL-C levels, recorded during the ESC Congress 2019, Paris, France.
- Understand the importance of the ACC/AHA 2018 and ESC 2019 guidelines for management of blood cholesterol/dyslipidaemias with respect to clinical practice
- Know the risks and benefits of statin treatment with respect to the risk for type 2 diabetes
- Understand the potential for abnormal liver function and metabolic syndrome and be aware of drug-drug interaction as most statins are metabolized via the cytochrome P450 pathway
- Know that the PROVE IT and REAL-CAD trials show that high-dose statin therapy is superior to moderate or low dose in cardiovascular event reduction
- Understand that combination therapy gives an additional reduction in LDL levels and that statin dose should be titrated to risk
Medical therapy for CTEPH: From biology to new treatment options
Watch leading experts involved in the care of patients with CTEPH discuss the latest issues and controversies in the medical management of CTEPH and related comorbidities, including the evolving data supporting the use of oral therapy, the application of oral therapies in clinical practice and how the underlying biology impacts on treatment decisions. This activity is intended for pulmonologists, cardiologists, cardiopulmonary surgeons, rheumatologists and other HCPs involved in the care of patients with CTEPH globally.
- Describe the biological and pathophysiological mechanisms of CTEPH
- Summarize the evolving data supporting the use of oral therapies
- Explain how new developments in medical therapy for the treatment of CTEPH will change daily practice
Renal Denervation in High-risk Patients with Hypertension
Heart International. 2019;13(2):12-6
Hypertension is a global health problem, with an estimated 1.13 billion individuals affected.1 Patients with hypertension, especially when resistant to conventional therapy, are at high risk of sequelae, e.g., ischaemic heart disease, haemorrhagic and ischaemic stroke, cardiac failure, peripheral vascular disease and end-stage renal disease.2 Renal denervation (RD) is an emerging treatment modality which allows […]
Jean-François Obadia, ESC 2019 – Follow up from the MITRA-FR Trial
We spoke to Professor Jean-François Obadia (Civils Hospices of Lyon, Lyon, France) about the 2-year follow up from the MITRA-FR trial, and how he would interpret the differing results from recent studies into the efficacy of the MitraClip in patients with mitral regurgitation. Finally, he touches on which patients might be likely to benefit from […]
J Jaime Miranda, ESC 2019 – Blood Pressure and Community Hypertension
We spoke to Dr J Jaime Miranda (School of Medicine, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru) about hypertension and the impact of introducing a low-sodium, high-potassium salt substitute on the incidence of community hypertension. He also then went on to discuss effective ways to improve control of high blood pressure in high- and low-income countries. […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchCARDIOSign me up!